by Cynthia Spiers
Recently, we had the pleasure of partnering with the Globalization and Localization Association (GALA) to deliver a webinar on Smartling technology and introduce our Referral Partner Program. In case you haven’t heard, we’re giving language service providers (LSPs) the opportunity to win more translation services work, while creating an additional stream of revenue for their business (with up to 20% in referral fees!). Registering for the program takes just minutes.
We had a lot of great questions during the webinar, and we thought we would share some of the popular ones here:
1. From the translation environment, do language service providers have access to data, such as words translated by translator, that can be used to invoice customers and track service costs?
Absolutely. Language service providers who work in the Smartling platform can quickly and easily generate word count reports in order to invoice their customers and pay the translators and editors working on their projects.
2. Does Smartling work with any CMS or are there limitations on which CMS platforms you support? How long does it take to set up the system with an existing CMS? Who covers the cost of the CMS connectors?
Smartling can work with any content management system — in fact, our website delivery technology works independently of the underlying system used to create the content. We also offer connectors for Adobe CQ, Drupal, Sitecore, and many others that are in development.
3. How does Smartling capture content? Is all of the content automatically brought into Smartling or is there a way you can exclude certain information from being ingested?
Definitely. Content ingestion with Smartling technology is automated, and as part of every account set-up, we walk each client through a set of questions to determine if certain areas of content should be excluded. Clients can create rules to exclude content directly in the platform as well.
4. Does Smartling support crowdsourced translation? Can translators collaborate on the same document simultaneously? Does Smartling technology allow for the simple superseding of a file that is currently being translated with an updated version, with no loss of translation to-date?
Smartling supports an unlimited number of users logged in at the same time, and our platform has been successfully used by companies with communities of users who volunteer to translate. As such, the translation memory is updated in real time with no loss of information. All versions of each translation are stored with date and time stamps in the system. However, crowdsourced translation is not advisable for most companies, and even those that use this “unlimited user” feature often use it only for certain content types while sending other types to their language service providers. Also, Smartling detects changes, which makes it easy to update a file being translated with a newer version even while translation is still in progress.
5. How much do customers need to know about the translation process in order to use Smartling?
Nothing at all. Smartling has helped an array of web, mobile, and social media brands with no prior knowledge of translation move their digital content into other languages and countries using our technology and their favorite language service providers. In some cases, the lack of experience is actually an advantage, because customers are open-minded and willing to implement an agile translation methodology.
In case you missed the session, you can watch the full recording here. Please share it with others on your team who may be interested. If you’re a translation agency or other language service provider with customers who can benefit from our technology, we look forward to welcoming you as a partner!