Translation Memory Software
What Is Translation Memory?
Translation Memory is a linguistic database of previous translations. When content is translated through Smartling’s Translation Management System (TMS), source text strings and their corresponding translations are automatically captured, paired, and hosted in a centralized space for future use. These translations can then be reused if a similar source string is uploaded again. Ultimately, translators are able to leverage Translation Memory “matches” to reduce redundant work and maintain linguistic consistency when completing future translations, resulting in faster, higher quality content.
- Strings are deemed identical in character length, capitalization, whitespace, HTML tags, and metadata.
- Translators can quickly accept the suggestion and continue on to the next string.
- Project managers can create workflows where strings that find a 100% match within the Translation Memory skip translation review steps and go straight into production.
- Strings are deemed to share only 50-99% similarity.
- Translators can review suggestions, approve select elements, and make slight manual edits as necessary based on Fuzzy Match suggestions within the Translation Memory.
Key Business Benefits of Translation Memory
Eliminate redundant work; optimizing Translation Memory management reduces the number of instances in which a translator starts a string from scratch
Apply previously stored translations; Smartling’s Translation Memory tools proportionally reduce the rate paid for translating matched strings automatically
Proactively prevent inconsistencies; Translation Memory tools give translators previously approved terminology to reference, increasing productivity and throughput
Import past Translation Memory files; create a consolidated global Translation Memory database, and export translations whenever you want