Translators should be invisible.
Not in a “Harry Potter cloak” sort of way (though that would certainly be handy at times.)
But in an ideal world, the translator’s work should fade into the background, and it should appear as if there was never a translator at all.
It’s why translators truly are the unsung heroes of the world.
Because the world wouldn’t function without them.
Take our latest guest, Jill Sommer for example. She came on the show recently to talk all about:
- Why she prefers to work until 2AM
- How she stumbled into translation as a career
- How her time as a contract linguist has shaped the way she markets herself
- Why she really does believe that good translation should make the translator seem invisible
- What Move the World with Words means to her.