You already purchase translation services, but you’re interested in learning about how to find the best translation software. There aren’t many experts out there to help you through the process of purchasing translation software. To make it easier, Smartling has assembled a collection of helpful information based on the typical stages our customers go through when selecting a translation software product. Follow the steps below in this translation software buyer’s guide, and access more resources at each step of the journey.
Step #1: Find out if you need translation software
Most companies buy translation software because they’re experiencing a challenge with their current process, and want to make it better. Our clients tell us they began searching for translation software because they needed to:
- Make translation easier
- Get translations completed faster
- Boost employee productivity
- Improve overall efficiency
- Reduce total costs
- Expand their global web presence
- Translate large amounts of content
Depending on your translation challenges, you may have questions and concerns. Here are some resources to help you:
- Who owns translation technology? Learn who at your company should be involved with the selection, implementation, and ongoing management of your translation software.
- 10 ways to measure translation ROI (eBook) Learn ten common ways that companies like yours demonstrate the value of translation and translation software.
- How to select the best translation resources for your business (Webinar). Learn which translation methods are best for your company.
- Common mistakes you might be making with translation quality (Infographic). See the most common reasons that companies experience poor translation quality.
Step #2: Compare modern platforms with traditional tools
There are many types of translation software options available within a translation software platform. Here are the most common translation software tools and components you need to be familiar with:
- Translation management system – A translation software solution that incorporates many of the individual components below.
- Translation workflow tool – A software component that automates translation processes, routing content to process participants and sending out automated alerts.
- Translation memory – A database of translation segments, or units, that are saved so they can be applied to future translations.
- Translator tool – The translation interface that translators, editors, and others use to create the translations.
- Terminology management tool – A tool that enables you to create, save, and manage databases of specific terms relevant to your business.
- Style guide creation tool – A tool that enables you to define your company’s brand voice and style, to help ensure high-quality translations.
- Translation proxy tool – A tool that delivers versions of your website in other languages by ingesting content from your primary website and replacing translated content on the fly.
- CMS Connectors – Plug-ins that connect your content management system to your translation management software and processes.
- Machine translation tool – A tool that automatically translates content without human intervention.
Before the internet became popular, businesses chose traditional installed translation software tools. Today, most companies prefer a modern, enterprise-grade platform like Smartling. Here are some resources that may help you learn more about the benefits of a modern, enterprise translation software solution.
- The importance of a vendor-neutral translation technology (eBook) Learn why you need to flexibility to use whichever translation method or provider you wish.
- Why translation memory matters — and why you should own it (eBook) Find out more about the importance of translation memory for your business.
Step #3: Explore your options to find the best translation software
If you’ve decided to select an enterprise translation software platform, you’ve most likely found various companies that would love to work with you. Here are some helpful resources to narrow down your choices, so that you only consider a translation software provider who can match your business requirements:
- How to evaluate translation software – Use these 10 critical questions when learning about translation software alternatives.
- The translation proxy tool checklist – If you’re looking for a website proxy tool, make sure to ask these critical questions when reviewing your translation web proxy options.
Step #4: Take a closer look at Smartling
If Smartling is on your short list of the best translation software solutions, it’s time to take a closer look at our product and our company.
- Corporate overview – (PDF) get more details about our history, investors, and company.
- Learn about the platform – find out how each component of our platform can help you.
- Product demo – see our most recent webcast to see an overview of the Smartling translation software platform.
- Drupal, Sitecore, Adobe CQ – see how our connectors work seamlessly with your existing CMS.
- Analytics and reporting – learn more about business intelligence and reporting within Smartling.
Step #5: Validate your choice
Now that you’re convinced that Smartling is a good fit for your business, arm yourself with additional facts. Read what Smartling customers, translators, and other third parties have to say, to help move forward with confidence in your decision.
- Company overview video – Watch our employees explain how we make translation easier for our customers.
- Customer video testimonials – See what Foursquare, Vimeo, Uber, SurveyMonkey and MeetMe say about working with us.
- Customer case studies – Read case studies to learn how we support customers like HotelTonight, NiceLabel, Kionix, and Vivino.
- Independent, third-party reviews – Find out why translators are saying that they prefer Smartling over older, more traditional tools.
- Partial customer list – Some of the many customers that trust Smartling.
Step #5: Final considerations
Translation doesn’t begin or end with software. Smartling realizes that, which is why we offer our customers a complete network of professional services, support, and security guarantees.